Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Rust, not the color...

I love the internet. You can find most of the answers to your questions or even more questions.
I was curious on how to naturally remove rust form furniture without having to use toxic chemicals that require me to wear very unattractive protective glasses.
Here is what I learned.

Instructions:

Things You'll Need:

  • Rags
  • Steel Wool
  • Wire brush or metal cleaning pad
  • Baking Soda
  • White Vinegar
Step 1.
Take a wire brush or piece of steel wool and scrub the loose rust off of the metal surface. For big rust stains, this will take off about half of the rust.
Step 2.
Get a bottle of white vinegar. For small items like earrings, just put them in a small glass of the vinegar and let them soak for a few minutes. Afterward, just rinse them off with a rag. If the rust remains, put them through one more cycle. For bigger rust stains soak a rag in the vinegar and scrub it down. After letting it soak for a while, rub the steel wool over the rust stain.
Step 3.
Add some baking soda and lemon juice to the vinegar to give it some added power if needed.
Step 4. 
 Prevent rust by applying a finishing wax or painting the surface. Before painting, make sure to remove all rust from the metal because just painting over rust is a temporary solution.
..................

I love the whole part to do with earrings. I personally have never had a pair rust but if I were to now I know what to do.
 I'm sure many of you probably know these little tricks but in case there is someone out there like me who didn't until 20 minutes ago I hope you find this helpful.
Ciao,
F


1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is great information!! Thanks for sharing!! :) . . . liz